With more than 1400 businesses located in Downtown Santa Barbara, there are many opportunities to work here. See employment opportunities listed below.
Job Announcement: Administrative & Operations Director
Status: Full time, Exempt
Posted: February 25, 2021
Applications due: Until position is filled
About the Community Environmental Council:
CEC is a fast-paced nonprofit based in Santa Barbara and serving the California Central Coast, with a reputation for positive social change and community engagement. Since 1970, CEC has incubated and innovated real life environmental solutions that directly affect the California Central Coast. The CEC team is a highly committed and energetic group, with an internal culture that values collaboration, ongoing learning, and innovation.
With its current focus in the California Central Coast region to promote rapid and equitable solutions to the climate crisis, CEC is known for organizing the Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival, advancing 100% renewable energy goals, and developing campaigns to #gosolar, #driveless, #driveclean #ditchplastic, and #rethinkfood. CEC’s primary objectives are to 1) Achieve Carbon Zero Communities; 2) Promote nature-based solutions to draw down legacy emissions and 3) Protect against unavoidable climate impacts. Visit www.CECSB.org and www.facebook.com/cecsb to learn more about our work and history.
About the position:
CEC is seeking an experienced administrator to provide strategic leadership and direct all of CEC’s administrative and operational functions, including oversight of facilities, office systems, information technology, and human resources administration.
This new position is a key part of the leadership team of a growing organization, and will oversee existing administrative staff and relevant consultants. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment with many moving parts and will have the ability to take initiative to create new processes that strengthen CEC’s operational systems. They will also participate at the strategic development level.
Job Functions and Responsibilities:
Facilities & Operations
• Work with the CEO to plan and monitor the general day-to-day operations, ensuring clear internal communications and smooth progress towards CEC’s goals
• Work with a growing staff to develop policies and procedures for all administrative systems
• Manage all facility needs, including improvements and architect/vendor relationships during the initial build-out of tenant improvements to a new office
• Ensure that CEC’s physical space and remote work environment enables the organization to effectively execute our 2021-25 Strategic Plan and advance our mission
• Coordinate all general administrative functions, including reception and phones, office/equipment inventory and maintenance, office organization and cleaning, conference room scheduling, emergency protocols, etc.
• Develop and manage CEC’s budget for administration and sign off on any administration-related expenditures by other staff members
• Actively interface with CEC’s Finance Team on administration-related items, including budgeting, annual audit, processing mail and checks
• Supervise staff (e.g., Executive Assistant), contractors, interns and volunteers, as needed
• Other duties as assigned
• Work with a growing staff to identify and enable consistent use of filing and project management software systems (e.g., Google Docs, Microsoft Teams, One Drive, Dropbox, Salesforce/CRM, Trello, and other communication systems).
• Develop and maintain efficient, effective, and secure IT systems to support staff and Board in carrying out the organization’s mission, programs and operations
• Determine technology choices and purchasing of equipment
• Design and implement an IT team management and training program for all Staff and Board to ensure policies and procedures are understood and followed
• Secure and direct IT contractors to develop and ensure functionality of IT infrastructure and assist with troubleshooting challenges internally
• Work closely with the CEO, staff and Board to enhance policies and procedures to actively implement Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI) goals in all aspects of HR
• Update and implement benefits as needed and maintain Employee Handbook in collaboration with the CEO and HR counsel
• Onboard and offboard all new employees and volunteers, including all required paperwork, facilities instructions, insurance and retirement plan enrollment, timesheets and payroll, etc.
• Create and maintain all personnel files, including PTO/Vacation/Sick/Holiday Tracking by Employee
• Administer and interface as needed with insurance representatives for all insurance services: Health, Dental, Life, LTD, Workers Compensation, and Professional liability
• Schedule and coordinate any legally required training, e.g., bi-annual sexual harassment prevention training and Paid Family Leave Act
• Serve as main contact to HR Express, JEDI consultants or other counsel as needed
• 5 years working in administration, including human resources, preferably in a non-profit setting
• Strong competency with designing and coordinating IT and file sharing systems such as Trello, Google Docs, Teams, One Drive, Drop Box, Salesforce/CRM, Microsoft Office Suite, and communication systems
• Excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills
• Team orientation
• Commitment to implementing JEDI policies and practices
• Commitment to CEC’s mission and programs
Job status and compensation:
• Full-time (40 hours/week), exempt position
• Salary commensurate with experience
• Somewhat flexible hours, may include occasional evenings and weekends
• Part of CEC’s Leadership team
• Reports to Executive Director
• Benefits include:
o two weeks of paid vacation, 10 paid holidays, and an additional paid week off between Christmas and New Year’s Day
o health, dental, life and LTD insurance
o an optional retirement plan with employer match up to 3% of salary (after a two-year qualifying period)
• Location: Due to COVID-19, our team is working remotely on PDT hours until restrictions are lifted. Beyond that, this full-time position will be based out of our office in Santa Barbara, CA.
CEC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate based on gender identity, sexual orientation, race, nationality, or physical ability.
How To Apply
Applications will be considered until the position is filled. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume (pdf or link) with an email subject line that indicates Administrative & Operations Director application to:
Assistant to the Executive Director