With more than 1400 businesses located in Downtown Santa Barbara, there are many opportunities to work here. See employment opportunities listed below.
- Events and Communications Assistant
Job Title: Events and Communications Assistant
About the Position
The Downtown Santa Barbara Events and Communications Assistant will be
responsible for organizing a variety events, activations and initiatives under the
direction of DSB’s Event Coordinator. This individual is a key player in ensuring
that downtown Santa Barbara remains a vibrant, thriving hub for businesses
residents and visitors
Employer: Downtown Santa Barbara (DSB), a 501 c 6 nonprofit organization is
dedicated to the promotion, economic development, and enhancement of the
Santa Barbara Downtown District for the benefit of downtown businesses, Santa
Barbara residents, and visitors since 1976. DSB serves as the voice for downtown,
leading change, organizing community, and building the brand of Downtown
Santa Barbara. Representing over 1700 of downtown business, as well as civic,
and cultural institutions, DSB primary role is to promote businesses and lead
revitalization efforts specific to Downtown.
Location: Downtown Organization of Santa Barbara; 27 E. De La Guerra Street,
Suite B Santa Barbara, CA
Employment Type: Part time, 10-20 hours a week. Option of a hybrid in
person/remote work schedule. Regular event work on weeknights and some
weekends is required. This is a paid part time position that can be used as an
internship or apprenticeship for a period of 8 months with the potential to
Compensation: $16-$20 hour depending on experience.
Length of Employment: May 15, 2023, to January 31, 2024 with the possibility of
To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume with your experience and why
you’re interested in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply & Priority Deadline to apply: Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com by Friday, April 28 with the title of the position you are
applying for in the subject line.
• Assist DSB Event Coordinator with planning and management of various
downtown events, programs, and activations such as 1st Thursday ArtWalk,
State Street Promenade Market, Holiday Events and Promotions, Small
Business Saturday, Downtown Beautification Days, Concert series, Live Art
and Wine Tour, Annual Awards Breakfast, Downtown Rock the Block Event
series amongst others.
• Assist in managing set up, breakdown, event logistics, communications,
equipment and volunteers for events and programs
• Assist with the graphic design of flyers, materials for DSB social media,
• Assist with documenting events and programs for social media, website, e-newsletter and other DSB communications
• Assist with communications with bands, performers and other event
• Organize meetings and or attend meetings as appropriate
• Deliver marketing materials and signage to event participants such as 1st
Thursday Passports, posters etc.
• Assist with DSB administrative duties and special DSB projects as assigned
Desired interests and skills:
• Interest or experience in event production and management
• Interest or experience in communications and journalism, photography or
• Strong verbal and written communications skills in English
• Able to communicate effectively in Spanish is preferred but not required
• Ability to work collaboratively as a team
• Strong customer service focus and a can do, positive attitude
• Experience using Canva or other graphic design software
• Experience using Google Docs, Spreadsheets and Microsoft programs
• Access to your own computer is desirable, but not required
• Able to work on evenings and weekends
• Ability to lift up to 30 lbs
• Able to work a combination of in person and remotely between 10-20
hours a week, potentially more hours if your schedule allows you to work
• Successfully complete a review period of one month
• Ability to be on feet for long periods of time during events or business
outreach, delivery of materials.
If you are passionate about promoting and enhancing downtown Santa Barbara
for the benefit of businesses, residents and visitors, you thrive in a dynamic team
environment, have strong communication and organization skills, are a people
person, and love events we encourage you to apply!