Already a member?
It’s true – membership has its privileges! Downtown Santa Barbara members (by virtue of their address bound by Anacapa, Chapala, Micheltorena, and Gutierrez Streets), are located squarely on one of America’s Great Streets– State Street, and are automatically our members. Dues, or assessments, are collected as part of the City’s annual business license. These fees are used to promote, market, produce events and provide decorations that benefit our members.
Strolling State Street is the #1 reason people visit the Santa Barbara region, and we strive to deliver unique events to locals and visitors alike, such as the Annual Downtown Santa Barbara Holiday Parade (since 1952), the award-winning monthly art walk, 1st Thursday (since 2007), and the beloved Downtown Art & Wine Tour (since 1999).
Members are encouraged to participate in these and other events throughout the year, including décor contests, art and cultural events, and retail/restaurant promotions. DSB is proud to represent its members at City Hall, and we work closely with the SB Police Department all in an effort to deliver great benefits to our membership.
New BID Membership Benefits to support your business:
• Online Calendar of Events: Add your business happenings as often as you'd like. These are featured on our website and often helps us to populate our e-newsletter and social media calendars.
• Membership Portal: You can update your business listing on our website, and include different photos, descriptions, and contact info at any time. This is an important way to have locals and visitors and locals find your business. Email Erik@downtownsb.org for a tutorial if desired.
• Participation in Downtown Committees: The Downtown Santa Barbara Organization hosts a number of committees to support our downtown business community that you can participate in: Email Robin@downtownSB.org to learn more about joining a committee.
o Business Support & Retention
o Marketing & Promotion
o Fundraising & Development
o Government Relations
o Business Mentorship
o Adhoc Committees as needed
• Advocacy: The Downtown Santa Barbara staff and board members are constantly communicating with our downtown members and advocating for their needs. Staff participate in business task forces, attend conferences and participate in a wide range of activities with the goal of supporting our business community. This year we have held listening sessions with hundreds of businesses and supported them with advocacy efforts related to the pandemic, the changing nature of State Street and the County Health Department as well as other important issues.
• Free Business 1 x 1 Strategy Calls by appointment are available with Downtown Santa Barbara staff and our partner organization business strategy specialists to support your business! Email Amy@DowntownSB.org to learn more and schedule an appointment.
• Business resources and trainings: Each month DSB offers free webinars on current issues affecting downtown businesses as well as educational resources to grow your business and navigate these unique times. Make sure your email is up to date by emailing Tim@DowntownSB.org to be added to the list.
• Promote your business and build partnerships at our Bi-monthly "What's Happening Downtown" online business networking call. We also feature special presentations related to downtown in this call.
• Opportunity to have your business featured in our weekly e-mail newsletter of downtown happenings. Email Tim@DowntownSB.org for inclusion with your highlight.
• Social media business highlights: 22,000 Followers and growing via Instagram and 11,000 on Facebook. We feature businesses for many different reasons, do giveaways and more to drive traffic to you!
• Downtown Santa Barbara IGTV Business Live Series In response to the pandemic conditions, we added an Instagram live digital live series, where we interview different business owners live for extra individualized promotion to our 22,000 Instagram followers which we will continue into 2021.
• Opportunity to be featured on the "Downtown Business Spotlight" a weekly interview series with downtown business owners in diverse industries in partnership with the Santa Barbara Independent marketed and distributed in print, Indy e-newsletters, Downtown SB e-newsletters and social media and recorded for businesses to use as well.
• State Street Promenade Market, a weekly Thursday market from 3-7:30 PM designed to promote downtown businesses and create vibrancy downtown. This is anticipated to expand overtime to include entertainment, feature local restaurants and family oriented activities and more as Covid-19 conditions improve. Participation is free for businesses in the BID area as an extra promotion of your businesses online and in person.
• Welcome Orientation: In 2021 we will be adding regular welcome orientations calls for new businesses and existing downtown businesses who want to learn more about how to access benefits they have access to through our organization. Email Erik@downtownSB.org to find out about the next orientation.
• Downtown Santa Barbara Map and Guide: The indispensable guide of what to see, where to go, where to dine, and what to do in historic Downtown Santa Barbara. Presence in the Map is only available to Members and Associate Members in good standing.
• Holiday Shopping Guide, Business Directory, Downtown Neighborhood Guide, Video Tours. This year we created an online holiday shopping guide, a comprehensive business directory to all our businesses, accessible via our website as well as a new downtown neighborhood guide.
• Community Events: Normally we would also put on numerous community events such as the monthly 1st Thursday Art Walk, Live Art and Wine Tour, the Annual Downtown Santa Barbara Holiday Parade, Mega Mixer, and Annual Awards Breakfast. We will be adding these back or adding others as soon conditions allow.
For businesses geographically located outside our boundaries, there is still the opportunity to receive our services and benefits for a minimal annual fee. Many Santa Barbara companies throughout the region join us to support our vision for a vibrant downtown. For more information about Associate Membership categories, fees and benefits, email Erik or call (805) 962-2098
Downtown Santa Barbara couldn't put on the series of exciting events scheduled each year, without the necessary support from sponsors. Events such as; the weekly State Street Promenade Market, the Annual Awards Breakfast, highlighting the great contributors to our Downtown community (February 2021); our weekly State Street Promenade Market; our signature monthly 1st Thursday events which continue to grow and diversify as each month goes by; our Annual Live Art & Wine tour celebrating uniquely vibrant art and music, paired perfectly with delicious food, wine and beer from the region (May 2021); the 68th Annual Holiday Parade, which inspires around 65,000 spectators each year to cheer Santa Barbara's local businesses and schools as they parade down State Street (December 2021).
If you're interested in sponsoring any of these events please contact Robin Elander, firstname.lastname@example.org.